People with low social support or without access to basic supplies, as well as those with income loss, are more likely to suffer from mental health issues during the COVID-19 pandemic lockdown.
In 2020, 25-44 year olds in the US had an increase in unexpected deaths. 38% of them were caused by COVID-19; the remaining 62% of cases were unexplained, but due to lack of testing in these individuals deaths from COVID-19 may be higher than estimated.
In a study of older white men living with HIV, experiencing HIV-related stigma was linked to worse cognitive performance and greater anxiety.
Reading social media posts in a more emotional state of mind can make people more likely to believe untrue news posts.
Among patients with COVID-19 discharged from Veterans Affairs hospitals in the US, 27% died or were rehospitalized within 60 days.
Microplastics are present in birds of prey in Florida, and can lead to starvation, reproductive problems, and death. This could imbalance their entire ecosystem.
People can often tell if a speaker is smiling from their tone of voice alone. This knowledge can be used to improve communication over the phone and radio and make synthetic speech sound more human.
For American households experiencing COVID-related income disruption, unemployment insurance improved health care access and reduced risk of depression and anxiety symptoms.